Black Teeth and a Brilliant Smile has been shortlisted for the 2017 Gordon Burn Prize.
In the spirit of the Gordon Burn Prize, the shortlist is far-reaching, eclectic and provocative. It includes two debuts, four works of fiction and two of non-fiction, with a third of the list published by two small presses as the resurgence of the independent publisher in the UK continues.
“The Gordon Burn Prize shortlist continues to showcase some of the most interesting contemporary writing in its wide-ranging selection of titles. Six titles were selected by judges Petina Gappah, Allan Jenkins, Ian Sansom and Cosey Fanni Tutti to go forward:
- Black Teeth and a Brilliant Smile by Adelle Stripe (Wrecking Ball Press)
- Border: A Journey to the Edge of Europe by Kapka Kassabova (Granta Books)
- First Love by Gwendoline Riley (Granta Books)
- The Long Drop by Denise Mina (Harvill Secker)
- This Is Memorial Device by David Keenan (Faber & Faber)
- This Is the Place to Be by Lara Pawson (CB Editions)
The winner will be announced at Durham Book Festival on Thursday 12 October 2017.